The first impression that I get from this story is about how cool it is that Auckland even does a parade like this. I live near a town that wouldn't give permission for a McDonalds to open let alone let a topless parade through the centre.
But of course, where there are women choosing to air their knockers in public, there is bound to be a phalanx of dreadful halfwits proclaiming the whole shebang to be the end of the world as we know it. And, of course, their usual half-arsed argument is about protecting families and children.
No it isn't. It's about the fact that you see a pair of unleashed devil's dumplings and immediately that triggers a response in your brain that this is bad and must be STOPPED! We don't all have that switch of course. For instance, I have one that, when it sees (most) bare breasts that triggers a response of, "Yeah. That's what I like to see."
These cretins can just frankly sod off. If I lived in Auckland, I'd march up to whoever this Richard Northey is and tell him that I'm perfectly capable of explaining to my children what they may or may not see, and explain to them that some people like to show off their breasts in public and that there's nothing wrong with that at all.
Unless they belong to Roseanne Barr.