A thought struck me today about porn, or more specifically those who are regarded as 'big stars' in porn.
Think about the female performers in particular who are regarded as the 'A-List' in terms of porn. Personally, I'd say Tera Patrick, Jenna Jameson, Briana Banks and maybe Silvia Saint. Actually, this is a pretty good guide, I'd say.
But look down the list. What's missing from this list that stands out? It's pretty simple, really. Black girls. Where are they all? Why are there no marquee African-American performers in mainstream porn at the moment? In fact, if you look back through the older lists on that site, it's precisely the same too. It would seem that this glaring omission is not a new thing by any means.
Why is this? Is it down to institutional racism in the porn industry? I don't know - in fact, I wouldn't know. Obviously, you'd like to think not, and it seems from the outside unlikely when you bear in mind that there comparatively quite a few performers of European, Latin American and Asian origin on that list, but you never can say for sure.
Obviously, so-called 'ebony' talent is an integral part of the modern industry. There are tonnes and tonnes of content out there that you can find starring at least one African-American performer, yet practically none of them appear to be able to go on and become a big name in the industry for whatever reason.
It's a slightly different story on the male front. Lex Steele is bordering on legend status within the industry, whilst the likes of Mandingo are also huge stars in more ways than one. But it is all rather puzzling and, off the top of my head, I'm struggling to think of a single African-American female performer. Maybe Jada Fire?
Whatever the answer is, it did have my wondering and no nearer to coming up with any conclusions. I'm sure we'd all agree though that having a couple of big name stars would be nice.